Coca-Cola is a brand that has evolved from a health drink served in glass to a soft drink. There are a ton of facts and figures about the Coca-Cola which you people would never have imagined. But first let’s look into how the company actually started out.
#1. The Introduction
Coca-Cola was founded by a pharmacist named John Pemberton way back in 1886 on May 8 in Atlanta. It was sold in Jacob’s pharmacy as a “valuable brain tonic” and “a wonderful invigorator of sexual organs. This ‘Health Drink’ was sold in glasses for a cost of 5 cents.
#2. The Logo
The logo was actually taken from the handwritten unique flowing script called as the Spencerian script of Frank Mason Robinson in 1885 who was the bookkeeper of John S. Pemberton. The same logo is used even today.
#3. The Name
Firstly it was a cocaine(coca leaf) mixed drink so it was called coca, In those days cocaine was legal. Today, Coca-Cola is the only company in the US to import Coca leaves legally.
#4. From a Health drink to a Soft drink
Coca-cola once contained 9 milligrams of cocaine per glass, In 1903 the government banned cocaine so coca-cola became a soft drink from 1903.
#5. The Rivals ~ PepsiCo
Pepsi product of PepsiCo, The Coca-Cola Company’s main rival in the soft drink industry, is usually second to Coke in sales.
That was a brief recap of Coca-Cola as a brand. Now let’s jump into the facts.
Unknown facts about Coca-Cola:
1. Altogether, more than 10,000 soft drinks from Coca-Cola are consumed every second of every day. You’ll be familiar with brands like Diet Coke, Sprite, and Fanta – but here’s some facts about Coca-Cola you might not have heard before.
2. Coca-Cola company has 129 years(1886-2015), the coca-cola bottle was called contour bottle , the bottle has got 100 years(1916-2016).
3. Today 1.5billion cokes were being sold everyday.
4. In 1991 coca-cola launched the first drinks bottle containing recycled materials.
5. The Coca-Cola bottle was created by bottle designer Earl R. Dean. In 1915, the Coca-Cola Company launched a competition among its bottle suppliers to create a new bottle that would distinguish it from other beverage bottles A bottle which a person could recognize even if they felt it in the dark, and so shaped that, even if broken, a person could tell at a glance what it was.
6. Coca-Cola spends a lot of money on advertising. According to Wikipedia, Coca-Cola’s advertising expenses exceed 3 billion dollars in 2011.
7. If you could collect all the bottles of Coca-Cola ever produced and give it to people then each
person on the planet would receive over 1000 bottle.
8. If you could pour all the Coca-Cola ever produced into a swimming pool, you would need a reservoir about 30 kilometers long, with the width of 15 kilometers and depth of 200 meters about half billion people could swim there.
9. Coca-cola company produces over 3,500 different beverages (other than Coca-Cola), which means that you would need over 3 years of time to try them all, if you tried 3 of their beverages a day.
10. The red logo of Coca-Cola is recognized by 90% of world’s population.
11. Between 1886 and 1914, one in 10 Cokes were given away for free.
12. Coca-Cola is the second most widely understood term in the world, after ‘OK’.
13. Coca-cola is the second most known term after the Word ‘Hello’.
14. 10450 soft drinks from cocacola consumed every second of every day!
15. Only a few people know the secret formula for Coca-Cola. The concentrate is made centrally, then exported to more than 900 bottling plants around the world.
16. In 1985 Coca-cola became the first soft drink ever to be consumed in the space.
17. If all the coca-cola bottles bottles in the world laid end to end the would reach the moon and
return back 1667 times.
18. Diet Coke was introduced in 1982 and now Its the worlds top diet drink.
19. Coca-Cola company’s official twitter account has more than 3.22 million followers.
20. The company’s Facebook fan page has more than 97 million likes to it.
Follow him on Instagram: @pranay_danthuri